14 February 2012

Pin it. Do it. Week 15.

I've subtitled this post An Experiment in Winter Sowing.

or, 

Milk Jug Greenhouses.

I began this project a couple weeks ago, and then I put it on hold because, to be honest, I have my doubts. A few days after I put my vulnerable seeds in the back garden on a table, it snowed. A lot. And it's been cold and snowy ever since.

But, according to the website I pinned on Pinterest, these seeds in their mini-greenhouses will do just fine.  I imagine I'll screw up the courage to plant some more in the next couple of weeks.

Ok, here's what you do:

Save your milk jugs, soda bottles, orange juice containers, etc. Heat a knife over a flame and slice a few drainage holes in the bottom of the containers. Cut a few inches from the bottom almost all the way around. Leave the top and bottom connected at one corner. Fill with soil that easily drains. Sow your seeds and pat another layer of dirt on top, according to planting instructions. Be sure to label each bottle with a sharpie. Close the container and secure with duct tape. Place outside in an area protected from heavy winds but exposed to elements such as sun, rain, and snow.

Let your little seeds do their thing. Once they sprout, monitor water levels. When it starts to warm up during the day, pop open the tops to soak up some rays. Be sure to close the lid at night until the threat of frost is gone. Once it's consistently warm, transfer your seedlings to their permanent home.










These are not my photos because I am a dork and forgot to take pictures, and now it is very dark and I don't have time to take any before this is published.  But mine look like these. Except they are taped closed and there are no sprouts. Yet. I'm hopeful.
 








2 comments:

  1. You mean we could do this now even though the nighttime temps get really low?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Like I said, this is my first time trying it, so I've chickened out a little and not done it with all my seeds. But, if you click on the links above or just google "winter sowing", you'll find that the freezing ground won't be a problem in these tiny greenhouses. At least that is what advocates of this method say! I'll post again in a few weeks when it warms up a little to share my progress. Good luck!

      Delete