05 January 2012

Responsible Living, Frugal Living

I'm not a millionnaire.  But financially, we are doing ok.  First of all, we are debt free, and we are committed to staying that way.

And although my husband has a good job, we are essentially a one income family, because whatever paltry and unreliable income I earn is not included in our monthly budget.

We make it work for a couple reasons.


First, we make a budget and stick to it.


Second, we are committed to consuming less.


That said, we have a few big changes coming up in the next two years, and we will likely need some extra cash.  We have decided to stock pile what we can in anticipation of these changes.

That is why I am so excited to publicly commit to Frugally Sustainable's 23 Day Frugal Living Challenge.

What does this mean, you might ask?


Well, it means different things for different people.  It is not a challenge where I am told what to do or not do every day; rather, it is a platform for us to make a plan to live frugally, stick to it, and have the support of others who have committed to do the same.


For my family, our biggest area of frugality will be in our meal planning and food purchases.  While I currently make a meal plan every week, and we almost always eat at home, I tend to plan what I want to cook and buy whatever is required.  Instead, for the rest of the month, I am going to reverse plan so to speak, and create meal plans with what we already have in our freezer and pantry.  The budget will be for fresh milk, eggs, cheese, and produce only.

We also plan to redefine what "necessity" means and commit to only those for the next few weeks.

I am excited about this experiment because

  • I think I will learn some new culinary skills
  • I think we will save a lot of cash
  • I know we will be responsible buyers in our consumer driven society
Want to join the fun?  Just click on the button below to sign the pledge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment