08 December 2011

Winter Garden

I really enjoyed the spring and summer, where we grew lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and herbs.  Because of my commitment to seasonal produce, I was a little sad when the fresh salads ended.  But one of my favorite blog authors, Andrea at Frugally Sustainable, wrote a post a couple weeks ago that seemed to be addressed to me.

She grows some of her produce indoors in the winter.  Why in the world didn't I think of that?  Our garden is all containers anyway. All I had to do was pick up the pot and bring it inside.

And now I have tiny spinach and lettuce plants stretching toward the light.  I am planning on planting basil, parsley, oregano, and chives in the empty herb pot.  The inside temperature in our house next to the back window is perfect for these plants - no greenhouse required!


I can't wait until my first harvest.  I'll make some fresh ranch dressing, close my eyes, and pretend it's summer once again.

4 comments:

  1. An indoor garden sounds like a great idea, but I have cats, so it wouldn't work too well around here. They would try and eat the plants, ugh! I hope your garden will be successful.

    At any rate, thanks for returning the favor and visiting my blog. I'm going to "follow" you now, even though my avatar may not show-up because Google Connect is acting goofy these days. :)

    ~M. Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, no cats around here, just a toddler, but sometimes it's similar! Maybe you could try a couple pots that hang on the wall? For herbs, anyway. Thanks for following. I enjoyed your blog and put it on my list of blogs to read. I also followed it, but not sure if it showed up, because I am having the same issues as you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...there is a garden center just down the road from our house. Me thinks I will have to check that out and see if I can find some seeds to try this out. :-)

    ReplyDelete