20 September 2011

ONE PROJECT AT A TIME - The Urge to Purge



ahh, feel the calm
I can't deal with a lot of stuff.  It just makes me…AAAGGGGHHHHH.  I organize to calm down, but every once in a while too much stuff just creeps its way into the house and I have to get rid of it.

total chaos!
I'm quite familiar with the donation sections of our local thrift stores.  I'm familiar with the buying section too, but that doesn't exactly fit with the topic.  Every couple of months I load up the car and make a donation.  It somehow corresponds with changing seasons, but I'm not sure if that is a coincidence or not.

Here's the dilemma:  my oldest son, Big#1, is a pack rat.  He cannot part with anything.  To him, getting rid of one of his possessions is like amputating a part of him.  I don't understand it at all.

I've tried getting rid of things when he is not around, but he still mourns for stuffed animals he can no longer find (he's a very sensitive soul).  Since that was a major fail, I now involve him in the organization and purging process.  But even this has proved difficult.  He seizes up and becomes very emotional when faced with a decision about choosing what to keep and what to purge.

I seriously have no idea what to do.  We've tried discussing how much God has blessed us and that we want to share with others who don't have as much, we've discussed that we're making room for new things, but nothing works.

HELP!  What do I do?  I understand that the need to purge is mostly my deal, but we still only have limited space, so he needs to be able to part with a few things to keep things under control.

I am completely at a loss on this one, and I beg you, faithful readers to help.  He is only eight, but eight year olds are capable of accumulating a lot of stuff.  I don't want to break the spirit that causes him to want to hold on to everything, but I need him to understand the difference between keeping sentimental items and hoarding a piece of junk mail addressed to his mother (but I could make something with the envelope!).  



the latest donation
So, for now, a purge of too small clothing pieces, an old bicycle, and some household items.  I guess we'll tackle the Bigs' bedroom another day.

As with every Tuesday, I'm linking up with A Bowl Full of Lemons for her One Project At a Time Tuesday.  Go check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment