23 August 2011

Being Crafty

I've mentioned this before:  I am not a person who enjoys crafts.  In fact, I don't even like the phrase "artsy craftsy."  But my kids...oh how they love to create.


And since I also try to encourage them to do what they love, it means that from time to time I just have to suck it up and channel my own creativity.

That's not to say I don't enjoy creating things; I just am not one for the typical kiddo painting and felt projects.  

So, whenever possible, for my own sanity, I try to get the boys involved in a project that won't make me want to gouge out my eyes.

an 8-year-old's perfect imperfection
Mr. Special Needs Koala-front
One of our most recent forays?  Sewing.  I had some cute fabric owl and koala shapes that were hanging on the wall in my daughter's room.  Did you know you can stick fabric onto walls with spray starch?  Super easy, but I'll detail that project later.

One-armed koala back
Anyway, I've decided to go for something new in her room so I sewed the front and back of the animals together.  We stuffed them with pillow fill from an old bed pillow that had seen better days.  Then the boys hand sewed it closed and voila!  new playthings for all.

The sewing was terrible, but the project was priceless.  The process of taking a piece of fabric and making it into something, the act of doing, was what made it irresistible.
Love





1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Perfect way to reuse something that WAS a decoration. And can't wait to hear about the spray starch for fabric wall hangings. That could prove to be VERY useful!

    ReplyDelete