14 July 2011

JUST ONE THING

Serenity

"SERENITY NOW!!!" screamed George Castanza's father in one memorable episode of Seinfeld.  

If only it were that easy.

As desirable as it sounds, serenity still comes and goes.  It is elusive.  It fades with time.  It gets choked with schedules and priorities and emergencies.

It's what I think I want.  It's what I get caught up looking for, even as I am yelling for no apparent reason.

But what do I know I need?  What will never leave me?  What will be given to me, if only I ask?

Peace.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27

Other-worldly, eternal, soul-changing peace.

Serenity, maybe.  Peace, definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment