07 July 2011

JUST ONE THING

Excuses

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.  Psalm 119:105

I have decided to run a marathon.  I started training in June; I officially registered last week.  I have 12 weeks left to prepare.  It's going well.  So far.

It's a job.  It requires commitment.  I don't think I'll ever do it again.  But I am enjoying it now.  So far.

As I was running my 6 miles today, I was struck by how I never even try to make excuses to get out of running.  Anymore.  For one thing, I have a deadline.  If I'm not ready, I can't push it off.  For another, I know that once I get out there, odds are I'll enjoy it.  And so I go.  Even today, when I had exactly 90 minutes to fit in a run, shower, and drive to school to deliver cupcakes for oldest boy's birthday celebration.  I hired a babysitter, because The Girl won't tolerate more than about 4 miles in the jogging stroller.  I made it work.

So, as I thought about my commitment to running this training schedule 4 days a week plus cross training on a fifth day, I wondered why in the world I can't make that kind of commitment to spending time with God.  I am so easily able to excuse myself from being quiet and alone in prayer or reading or learning or listening.  

I realized that all my excuses for not running can be applied to not spending time with God.  

EXCUSE #1:  It's raining.
ANSWER #1:  With rain comes coolness, solitude, and refreshment.

EXCUSE #2:  Bad weather is coming.
ANSWER #2:  Better get out there and stay ahead of the storm.

EXCUSE #3:  I'm tired.
ANSWER #3:  Go anyway.  You'll be rested and energized when you return.

EXCUSE #4:  I'm too busy.
ANSWER #4:  Block off time from the front of your schedule, not the back.  This is too important to get the leftovers of your day.

EXCUSE #5:  I don't know where to begin.
ANSWER #5:  Start anywhere.  One step at a time.  You won't regret it.

EXCUSE #6:  I don't want to.
ANSWER #6:  Do it until you want to do it.  More often than not you'll be glad when you are done.

And finally, keep an eye on the ground so you don't fall, but point your head towards the finish line so you know where you are going.




No comments:

Post a Comment