08 March 2011

Tuesday's Tips and Tricks

 The Freezer is your Friend

We all know that soups and sauces are so easy to make big batches of and freeze, but I am pleasantly surprised by the number of things I have been able to keep in my freezer.  Once I ventured into the world of real food, I needed a place to keep things so they would last longer.  Freezing fresh meals from a double batch also solves the problem of eating real food when there is no time to cook.

Over the course of the past couple of years, I have successfully stored the following:

*flour
*yeast
             --I buy bulk of both and keep them in my freezer--they last for months and months this way

*bananas
            --when a banana gets too ripe, I throw it in the freezer--when I accumulate enough, I make bread

*cheese
           --I do this when we go on vacation, or when I am able to get a good price on something rare over here like shredded cheese

*homemade apple or pear sauce
          --I do not own canning supplies, nor do I intend to any time soon.  The freezer keeps any fruit sauces I make fresh--I just keep them in small batches and move them to the fridge as I need them.  That way I can load up on seasonal fruit at good prices.

*cookie or bread dough
         --just be sure to thaw in the fridge the day before you intend to bake it

*fresh veggies
        --they need to be blanched first--another thing that can be saved if you leave for vacation

These are just a few things living in my freezer.  I have an article about how to save dairy, meat, fruits, and vegetables, and I'm sure the internet is brimming with advice on how to freeze what.  When we finally settle down, I think I'll have to break my cardinal rule of not wasting a gift opportunity with household items and request a deep freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment